Friday, January 25, 2008






So I had to pick one of my proposed projects to post this week, and I had trouble thinking of what to do. One of the projects I wanted to do at some point this semester was "Crying." This is a hard subject to capture because not only is it hard to get pictures of people crying, but those individuals might not want photos of them crying published for all to see. So two things came to me. First, I thought that I could take pictures of myself crying and then I wouldn't have to worry about getting others to participate. Second, I was sad enough to cry last Tuesday. It is hard to be truly sad, and take pictures yourself. The main reason I wanted to do this project was that I haven't sen a lot of pictures of people crying. I think that it is one of the most raw and intimate ways to capture someone. In a way I have done more of a self portrait, and it is hard to tell what these picture are about. In fact, I don't think that these pictures are that great at all, but it is hard to get set up with good lighting, and concentrate on composition when you are crying. I hope you see what I see.
Blessings,
Abe

6 comments:

jess said...

interesting idea. I can't say I would have understood them without your explanation so thanx for including that

Allison said...

i like these, abe. very honest. very raw. they're hard to look at, in a good way.

Abe said...

I have decided to comment on my own photo because I have some strong opinions about it. I think that the lighting is bad, and the composition sucks. It is a good idea, but this is a crappy representation of a good idea. I feel bad about trying to pass this off as something for a class.

Shaina said...

I agree that they are hard to look at, but in a good way. My guess on why it is so hard to look at is because you are experiencing an uncomfortable emotion, and we're not used to being in such close proximity with it. I like them so much because they are true to emotion, and sometimes you don't need to care about composition and lighting when the content is so raw.

Laurie said...

abe, i like how raw these are. the black and white was a good idea on the first two. it sets the tone. these are pretty real and vulnerable. thanks for sharing.

Anita Opazo said...

Thank you for being so transparent and vulnerable with these images. You've set a great example to us all to "push the envelope" and expose what so many of us want to keep hidden. I LOVE the idea behind them...my only criticism is that-like you have already pointed out-the technical aspects of the photo are week. There is a tri-pod you can check out from the office if you need to...and it would strengthen the image to illuminate the background. In the same breathe though I would say that sometimes things like this need to just be spontaneous and as it happens. Maybe work with it some in Lightroom and see what you can do. Re-post if it improves it.