Monday, January 14, 2008

Gallery Viewing First

The Studio 3 exhibit is really nice. I really like knowing the artist. I have had that privilege a few time in my life, and it definitely makes the viewing experience more pleasurable. Breanne did a great job of using space to make the paintings. They are not too busy, but that still have all of the detail and beauty that was needed to make them vivid. I really like the piece that has the clothes line in it. There is something so amazing about it.

Doug Campbell's work is hard to digest at first. When I walk into the Lindgren Gallery I think that I am in a late sixties gallery. After I let the pieces soak in my mind for awhile, then they start to grow on me to the point that I would like to have one in my home. He does a great job of capturing things that most would think two mundane. Most artists would never think of doing a piece of her/his family at home eating dinner. The candid is underrated. I would love to see the pictures he started out with. I am sure that the transformation is a neat process. I like how simple the colors that he used are. Just a few main colors and he makes a whole scene. This is a great lesson in tones.

Last but not least, I went to the Minthorne Gallery. I have been doing pottery for about a year and a half. I know some of the potters that were in the show, and some of the potters in the show I wish I knew. These potters are known around the world for their work, and so it is great that we can have their work here at Fox. I really liked the Tom Colman pieces (of course), and the Ron Linn pieces too. This is one of my favorite shows I have been to.

No comments: